December 15 starting @ 7:00PM
Club Members Only
Our December program will be a holiday party to socialize with fellow club members and their families. Lynne O’Dell is our party coordinator for this event. What you need to know:
- The club is providing a main dish of ham, turkey, and wine.
- Each person attending should bring a potluck dish that serves 6 to 8. The potluck dish should be a salad, vegetable, side dish, or dessert.
- All attendees may participate in our Optional Holiday Gift Exchange. Simply bring a gift that is wrapped and valued for $20 or more. Bonsai-related items or Japanese art are usually preferred but other items like wine and chocolate are usually a hit too. Please bring something that you would enjoy receiving if you got that gift.
- A Special Benefit Drawing for club members in attendance will be held. The board collected some bonsai pots (donated to the club throughout the year) for this drawing but is looking for additional donations if you have an item. Club members present will get a free ticket to participate in the holiday drawing. Our regular benefit drawing will resume in January.
- A silent auction will also be held. See details below.
So come and share some holiday cheer and great food, reminisce about the year that has come and gone, and enjoy getting to know your fellow club members in the process. Immediate family members are welcome too!
Show and Tell (Holiday Table Centerpieces):
Our holiday table centerpieces will be bonsai that have been decorated in the holiday theme using lights, ornaments, etc. We need eight or nine bonsai that have been decorated. The bonsai can be an individual tree, a group planting, a saikei, etc. Note that the bonsai should be of medium height so people sitting at the table can see each other. Let Lynne know if your creative juices are flowing and you can bring a centerpiece.
Silent Auction at December Holiday Party
At our holiday party we will also have a Silent Auction of some specially selected bonsai items either previously donated or acquired by the club. Each item will have a purchase price and a minimum bid price assigned to it. The auction cutoff time for last bid accepted will be announced on the auction form. Cash, check or credit card will be accepted. Make checks payable to Kusamura Bonsai Club.
Club Looking for Trees to Purchase
The club would like to purchase more trees to work on at our two potting parties in addition to trees that members are donating. If you have a beginning or pre-bonsai tree that you would like to SELL to the club for $20 to $40 then contact Lynne at (650) 207-8163 and she’ll arrange for them to be picked up or you can bring them to the potting party on December 9. We will be buying the tree (not the pot) so when it is repotted, owners can have the pot back.
Second Soil Making Party in January
Another soil making party will be held on Saturday, January 20 from 9 AM – 12 Noon at the home of Lynne O’Dell, 750 Kings Mt. Road. Participants will have the opportunity to purchase soil at club cost. The first party went really well and the club extends a big THANK YOU to Idris Anderson, Diane Churchill, Charlene Fischer, Alan and Linda Merrifield, Armand Navabi, Lynne O’Dell and Tom Romer who participated. Soil made at this event will be used at the December 9th potting party.
2017 Show Photos Available
Appologies for the delay in uploading photos from our 57th Annual Show, but they are finally available here.
Timely Work Schedule
Each month there are a number of tasks you need to do to your bonsai - from repotting, to fertilizing to spraying for pests. We have put together a checklist, customized for the San Francisco Bay Area to help you. This checklist is adapted from earlier work by Mitsuo Umehara.
This month: December Tasks
November Meeting Recap